About Magen David Adom
Magen David Adom (MDA) was officially chartered and recognized as an emergency lifesaving service as a result of the murderous riots of 1929, when Jewish farm and urban settlements were attacked by the Arab population, and were found to be lacking in even the most elementary first aid services. It was founded in Tel Aviv on June 7, 1930, by a group of seven Israeli doctors, as a one-room emergency medical service. MDA’s first home was a dilapidated hut on the corner of Rothschild and Nahalat Benyamin streets in what was then the center of town.
Subsequently, MDA has played a major role in providing vital lifesaving services during each of Israel’s wars, skirmishes and terrorist attacks, as well as in times of peace. The growing need and developing population of the new state brought about a parallel growth in MDA. New branches and first aid stations sprang up throughout the country. The first modern ambulances were purchased, and the society’s blood, first aid and first aid instruction services were expanded.
Recognition: Lisabeth Lobenthal and Ann Lesser